Conspiracy theorists can have a field day explaining all the many coincidences that surround the number 23. Mathematicians however will refer to the ‘Law of Fives.’ This law claims that ‘all things happen in fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of five, or are somehow directly or indirectly appropriate to 5.’ The 23 enigma is regarded as a corollary of the Law of Fives because 2 + 3 = 5! It is referred to in several books and treatises on the ‘Illuminati’ a quasi-fictitious group dedicated to the creation of a new world order.
To be honest this immutable law mostly references incidences of bad luck which makes it all the more surprising that so many lottery players choose this number so readily.
One of the earliest stories surrounding the 23 enigma refers to a ships captain named ‘Captain Clark’. Sometime in 1960 in Tangiers he was bragging that he had been sailing the high seas for 23 years without incident. That very day Captain Clark took a ship out to sea which sunk killing everyone on board. What is even more bizarre was that on the exact same day at the same time right across the other side of the world another Captain Clark crashed an airliner off the coast of Florida killing everyone on board. The flight number was, you guessed it, number 23.
On March 30 2012 the world’s largest lottery jackpot was drawn. The winning numbers were 2 · 4 · 23 · 38 · 46. The Mega ball was also 23. Within an hour of the draw a conspiracy theory began circulating on the internet. The repetition of the number 23 in the winning numbers was taken by some to be a sign that the Illuminati were secretly running the US lottery.
More Astounding Facts surrounding the 23 Enigma:
- Each parent contributes 23 chromosomes to the DNA of a child
- It takes 23 seconds for blood to circulate throughout the body
- In humans the 23rd chromosome determines gender
- There are 23 letters in the Latin alphabet
- Julius Caesar was stabbed 23 times during his assassination
- The earth’s axis is off by 23.5 degrees
- The Knights Templar had 23 Grand Masters
- William Shakespeare was born on 23 April 1564
- William Shakespeare died on 23 April 1616
- The ancient Egyptian and Sumerian calendars begin on July 23
- The Titanic sank on April 15 1912 (4 + 1 + 5 + 1 + 9 + 1 + 2 = 23)
- The Mayans believed the world would end on December 23
- Jim Carrey starred in the move ‘the Number 23’ about a mans descent into darkness and paranoia based on the 23 enigma
- John Dillinger only stole money from 23 banks
- The distance from the centre of Mars to its nearest moon is 23,500 kms
- 23 people died on flight TWA 800
- Kurt Cobain was born in 1967 (1 + 9 + 6 + 7 = 23)
- Kurt Cobain died in 1994 (1 + 9 + 9 + 4 = 23)